Friday, March 13, 2009

This is what we were up against!

Yes, take in the lovely "cottage and tree" lacy curtains. --Notice the late 80's country blue and peach wallpaper (also sporting the "cottage and tree" theme) --all so coordinated and all SO NOT ME!!! This is what our basement family room first looked like when we moved in-- July 2007! Wallpaper and wood paneling. After LOTS of hard work we have made it more our style. I am still not completely done. I have (since these pictures) painted the entertainment center black (which I love and it looks awesome) and we have re-arranged the furniture and I am going to paint the bookcase black as well (it also needs a new back on it, because one of its previous owners punctured holes all over it). I will post the finished product soon . . . But I wanted to document stage one of the transformation!! These walls were a (pain-in-the-butt) 3 step process. On the upper half of the wall- we scrapped wallpaper off, then Scott textured, then we primed, and then we painted! On the lower half- we sanded the wood paneling, primed it, and then painted! It sounds all so neat and easy. It wasn't. But it is finished. I love it.
Before. With wallpaper and wood paneling. (I can't change the 70's, river-rock, and gold fireplace---so it stays. But it is slightly less hideous with the green paint and black accents) I had to work with what I had! After. Hours of hard work after. But after none-the-less.




The back-wall

Same back- wall




Entertainment center and busted-up book shelf. More paneling and Wallpaper.

Green paint and book shelf not pictured.


I am excited to finish it all up and I will post more pictures when I am done! I love having a house of my own that I can fix up, change, and paint!

4 comments:

Lisa said...

It looks so good! Are you for hire?

White Family said...

Ok, so I meant to switch places with my comments, so just pretend that I am writing this under Whitney's curtains and that the one below is for this post. Anyways, I totally agree with loving curtains. I have to have them in every room because it's my inexpensive way of dressing up the room a little. I love what you did with the Gerber daisies too that is adorableand very creative!

The Schwab Family! said...

you've been tagged! Check out my blog for the rules!

Nick and Brent said...

We'll be asking you for lots of advice when we remodel my parent's front room! You have done a very good job decorating...I wish I had that talent! ;)