Friday, February 26, 2010

A Birth Story: Dallas

Dallas is 2 Weeks old!!!



Caution: This post is for my personal record and journal of the events and details of Labor and Delivery of Dallas. It may Bore you to Tears . . .
On the 11th of Feb. 2010 at 9:00 a.m. I lost my Mucus Plug ( . . . pleasant thought, I know . . . But none-the-less an important fact of Labor) I was excited thinking that I may be going into Labor!! Finally!! For the past 2 weeks I had been having some pretty good Braxton Hicks and some that lasted quite awhile--obviously nothing serious--But I knew my body was getting ready. I called and let Scott know what had happened and that I would keep him posted if anything more started happening. As the morning went on I started having some contractions, they kept getting stronger and more consistent----BUT most importantly they were not stopping. I was getting more and more excited and by Noon I knew we were going to have a baby that afternoon!! I called Scott and asked him to cancel his afternoon patients and to come home. I felt like the contractions were serious enough that I wanted him home. He came home and ate lunch-while I swept the kitchen floor. I was trying to stay active and moving, hoping to keep labor going. At about 1:00 my contractions were about a min. long and 5 min.'s apart. This was enough evidence for me and we decided to get ready to go to the Hospital!! I packed a bag and we got Sam from school (My mom had already gotten a Sub. for her class and stopped by and got Kenzie and Whit). Scott went into get Sam, they paged her over the P.A. and she came bursting down the hallway saying, " Mom's in Labor!! I know that's the only reason you would get me out of class!!" She was soooo excited. Very cute. We took Sam to my mom's house--where my Dad was going to watch them. We took the dog to Diann's house, and headed up to the Hospital. I was in very good spirits and I was only needing to breath well during my contractions. They were strong, but not really painful, just crampy. We went up to "Labor and Delivery," where a nurse checked me and I was already at a 6!!! I was ecstatic!! Already more than 1/2 way there and we had just gotten to the Hospital!! It was about 2:30 p.m. by then. My nurse was amazing and so supportive. I told her I wanted a completely natural Birth---NO MEDS. NO I.V.--- She was great! and Very helpful! She told me that she thought I would only be at a 2 or a 3 by the way I was acting. I was still laughing and talking with Scott and very calm, so she was surprised to find that I was a 6! We got into our room and she strapped the contraction monitor on my belly, and the baby monitor too. She wanted a 1/2 hour recorded and then she said I could move around. I sat on the "Birthing ball" with Scott in front of me--sitting on a chair--- I put my hands on his knees. I liked the cushion of the ball, it really helped through the contractions. I liked being able to look at Scott and talk to him through it all. I kept saying positive things, I like, "I love you! and I am so excited we are having our baby today!" Positive affirmations. This kept me calm and energized. I felt very relaxed the whole time. I was not scared or tense. I felt very in tune with my body. I was not fighting my contractions. When I got to an 8, they told me that they could break my water and that it usually makes you transition and then I could start pushing. We did. Transition was not bad at all, I got shivery, like I was cold, and they brought me warm blankets. After about 15 mins. I felt pressure-contractions. The nurse told me that after about 4 good pressure-contractions, I could climb up on the bed and start pushing. (There were 2 student nurses observing my labor, and I remember my nurse telling them that this was not a typical labor and delivery . . . And I thought, "Isn't that sad. It should be more like this-- calm and energizing.") It was time to push! On my 2nd push a loud yell came from my mouth---It lasted far longer than I thought it should---I remember thinking in my mind, "I'm still yelling . . . shouldn't I breath soon?" It was so involuntary, I didn't have any control over it--- I am woman, hear me ROAR!!! And I did! And Dallas came out!! :) The first words out of my mouth were, "Is he out? Does he have a penis?" I was still slightly unsure that we were REALLY going to have a BOY!! He was a boy! And I was so delighted! :) Giving birth to Dallas was one the best experiences of my life. An affirmation that Woman is the supreme creation of our Heavenly Father--blessed with the ability to bare children. Our bodies are an amazing gift. I am so grateful to be a woman and a mother.

5 comments:

Brandi said...

Way to go!!! I am happy that you had a wonderful experience and that he was a little boy. He is adorable.

Unknown said...

I love hearing your story! You are such a trooper to do the no pain meds, it inspires me to want to try it. Not sure I could handle it but oh well. Your little one is so cute! I laughed really hard when I read what you said "does he have a penis". Me and my hubby got some good laughs! Congrats again on your new bundle of joy!

Natalie said...

Dallas is so handsome! I see so much Robison in him, but I think he's a perfect mix. I'm glad you got to have the labor just how you wanted it...not my style, but fantastic that it went your way! :) You are an amazing woman and I'm thrilled for your darling family.

Gavin and Natalie said...

You are amazing! He is so beautiful! Congrats you guys!

White Family said...

You.Are.My.Hero. I have read this story a couple times now and I forgot that I haven’t even commented on it. Seriously Chris, you are amazing. I went into labor with Landon fully wanting nothing to do with an epirdural, but fear set in that the pain would be unbearable and I wanted to enjoy my labor and delivery and be present and pain free when he arrived so I caved and begged for the epirdural. I honestly don’t know if I’ll ever be able to go without it. I’m a wimp. I love your story. You’re an inspiration to me, really and truly. This beautiful boy is so lucky to have such a strong and righteous mother to love and raise him.