Friday, November 21, 2008

Journaling--The cute things . . . and "Ba-Hum-Bug"

So in the interest of keeping (somewhat) of a journal, I decided to write about Whitney and some of the cute things that she is saying. Concerning nursery at church, she has been really good up until she turned 2. Then she decided that she will scream, kick, cry, wail, and otherwise frighten the other children (not to mention the poor nursery leaders) until, I agree to stay and play with her. I am NOT letting her tantrum her way out of nursery, so I stay for awhile and then leave for my church calling and then keep checking back and usually go in to help calm her down. When I check on her she is usually separated from the other children screaming in a corner---saying over and over, "I need Mommy, I need Mommy . . . " you get the lovely picture . . . So I have been trying to change my strategy, I thought well I will "Pep-Talk" her before she goes to nursery--Going something like this: "Oh Whitney, it is time for nursery!" she quickly says, "NO Nurs--ee!" I say, " You can see Sister Shirley (whom she used to love)." She says, " NO Sisa Sher--yee!" I say, " Oh come on she is so fun." Whitney says, "NO fun!" I say, "Sister Shirley is so nice and happy." Whit says, " No ni-ice, No Hap--y!"----Pep-talk not working so well. But I had to laugh (inside) at how cute and confident Whitney was with her answers, all with a very serious scowl on her face. This past week we decided to try and talk more about nursery during the week, we even started praying for nursery and for Sister Shirley, I thought it might help when we then got to nursery and of course when we got to church, Sister Shirley wasn't in nursery that week . . . Her son got home from a mission and they were having a family party. Just my luck.

Scott has officially started coaching Basketball this week! He is the new assistant JV Boys Basketball coach at Madison High school! He is loving it! Four hours of B-Ball practice a day--who wouldn't be in heaven? I am trying to be a good sport about the whole thing. I think that I am doing pretty good so far, a whole week---way to go Chris!--- Scott is such a happy guy, all smiles when he is going off to Ball, and in a great mood when he comes home. I like to see him so lit-up about something---the spark the excitement! I am happy when he is happy!

I am trying to keep-up with the Holiday Season---and I am trying not to be a "Ba-Hum-Bug"! I used to love the "Holidays", but now, I kind-of dread them. I know, it's all the in attitude . . .blah. blah. blah . . . I am not ready to have a good attitude about it yet. So, I am being honest. I just feel like Christmas becomes all about "the stuff" and I look around our house, so full of "stuff" and I just get all wound-up thinking about all the more"stuff" that we are going to get . . . I know that we give gifts in honor of the gift of our Savior. And I honestly enjoy giving a gift to someone, when I know that it is really something that they will love and I get excited to surprise them with it, but I hate feeling like I have to get something for someone, just to get them something. more stuff. I know, "Ba-Hum-Bug" Sorry. Scott and I did do some Christmas Shopping this past Saturday, we were able to find some great things that I am really excited about giving to people, plus we got our Christmas cards all ready to send out! ALL of that is helping me feel better about the up coming Holidays!! I like to be on top of things!

5 comments:

Lisa said...

I am with you on the stuff - I feel the same way. I have been trying to make as many things as I can so that they have a bit more meaning and not getting so much in the first place!

Hope your nursery experience gets better soon - that is tough. And, you get the good wife of the week award for being supportive of coaching!

Natalie said...

I totally agree about the stuff; in fact, I think I'm only buying our kids one gift each. Also, we should start a tormented parents' club for those of us with problem-nursery-attendance-prone children. Karli does exactly the same things and it's maddening! Hopefully Whitney and Karli will realize soon just how good they have it...snacks, toys, bubbles. I want to go to nursery!

Becca said...

OH I love Whit. That cracks me up about the nursery. Cute new pics by the way. How do you change your back ground?? I am sick of plain old black on mine. Share your secret!!! Nick and I are so excited to come up to Idaho. We will want to do some relaxing too!! We both get so burnt out from being busy. Mom said that we are staying at your house?? Right? It should be a great thanksgiving as long as no one stresses out! Well, have a great one, I will try and call you today. I actually just did but you must be busy! Love you! Bec

White Family said...

Oh my word, that is such a cute story about Whitey. Your girls crack me up, I can't wait til Chase can talk and say funny entertaining things! I agree about the holidays too. I really miss the feelings of joy and warmth that I'd get this time of year when I was still under mommy and daddy's wings. I guess I had to grow up and be the parent at some point but I'll always miss not having a single worry aroung this time of year. By the way, I love your background! I't really cute! We hope you guys had a great Thanksgiving, we missed seeing you guys.

Kam Family said...

I saw your blog on Nikki's blog-- so I hope it's okay that I took a peek! We too have a blog--- and I'd love to invite you! If you could just send me an e-mail, karlankam47@yahoo.com.
Your blog is so cute, and your girls are gorgeous-- just like their momma! Hope all is going well! Hopefully we'll see you guys in a few weeks! Take care!
Karissa